Memorial Day weekend is here. You've got the day off work, you're having a few friends over, a few beers and, of course, you're grilling.
According to the NFPA, 5 out of 6 fires that involve grills were gas grills. Gas grills cause almost 7,000 house fires each year. Charcoal or other solid-fueled grills cause about 1,100 house fires each year.
Here's a break down of how the fires got started:
Before you light the BBQ, however, take a couple minutes to read these safety tips:
1. For gas grills, making sure that there are no leaks in any of the hoses and that the connections are tight. Turn off the gas after you're done grilling.
2. For charcoal grills, be careful with the lighter fluid. Do not oversoak the coals and NEVER add lighter fluid to a fire that is already burning. The flames can travel back up into the container and cause serious burns.
3. I don't care if it is cold outside still and/or if it's raining out... Never, ever grill indoors or in an enclosed area. CO can kill.
4. Pay attention to where the grill is. Understand that it will generate a lot of heat and place it accordingly. Keep it away from the siding, away from the car, away for overhanging trees or other vegetation.
5. You were a kid once too. Remember how fascinating fire is? Never leave the grill unattended, especially with small children around. Always make sure that children are kept well away.
6. Never use gasoline to light charcoal.
7. To extinguish coals, close the vents and close the lid. Allow the coal to extinguish themselves completely. Allow at least 24 hours before disposing of ashes to make sure they are completely extinguished.
8. Keep pans and plates with fat, grease and oil away from flames
Follow these tips for a safe weekend and have a happy memorial day!