Online Safety Community

I recently spoke at a safety conference about Safety Return on Investment (ROI). The topic was about gaining support, from your company CEO, for your safety incentive and recognition programs. I was truly amazed at the number of people who approached me after my presentation. I think I hit a nerve here!

Seems many of these safety managers were hungry to improve their ability to get budget-share for their safety programs but they were not having luck, especially in this economy, with getting that away from sales, marketing and other department budgets. I shared some strategies I have used to integrate safety into other department programs and also made some safety calculators available to clearly demonstrate how ROI can be obtained.

Is this an isolated situation or should I be getting this message out there? Are your CEO's just giving lip service to safety but not backing that up with budget dollars?

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My experience has been that the majority of senior leadership fully understands that it is not merely a coincidence that the safest companies are also the more profitable companies. They understand the link and are usually willing to spend what it takes. The onus lies with the person or group requesting the funds. Make sure you demonstrate the need and the benefit in a simple, but clear manner.

The snag is with the implementation,where you cannot simply spend yourself safe. Middle management and first line supervision, the lower tier "leaders", often place production in front of protection because of some self-imposed pressure to turn out more widgets faster than the last guy did. They can have trouble seeing past their slice of the pie. If their project comes in on schedule and under budget they consider themselves successful. I have converted many, but I meet a new challenge every day.

Safety Matt
Hey Matt:

I hear that (got to produce more than the other guy) all the time! I even had a CEO tell me that production comes first and if they can be safe while getting more out the door, that's a bonus for us. Sad but true. Good news is, after just a few sessions and follow up with this CEO, I was able to show him what his real exposure and investment risk was. Today, they have a safety program in place that works alongside a production program. The employees earn incentive points for being more productive and being safe.

Bob
Ellen:

You have had your share of natural disasters for sure, I feel for you! You are so right about education, I do that as a rule for my clients and prospects. When I show them the "true" value, in terms they want to see (show me the money), they are amazed at how small the risk can be and how large the returns are! Several years ago I developed easy to use Safety ROI calculators. I found that when I can have these, which are simply plug in numbers and see the results, available for these clients and prospects to use, they drop the fear factor that comes with trying to put a financial result together. I have that (finance) background, so if and when a CFO gets involved, I am happy to be on hand to demonstrate this as well. That gets real buy in!

I hope the storms stay away and give you a chance to rebuild. I love that part of our country!

Bob

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

Alexwood posted events
28 minutes ago
WHS Solutions posted a discussion

Occupational Health and Safety

Health and safety are important aspects of an organisation’s smooth and effective functioning.  Did you know that workplace health & safety injuries cost Australian businesses over $60 billion dollars a year? See More
yesterday
ezcertifications updated an event
Thumbnail

ITIL Foundation Training Abu Dhabi, UAE at Abu Dhabi, UAE

December 21, 2014 at 9am to December 22, 2014 at 5pm
EZcertifications would like to present to you our upcoming ITIL Certification Prep Training Workshop    Location:  Abu Dhabi, UAE     Date:  Dec –  21th  - 22th -2014This is an Instructor-led Classroom Training which will help you to prepare for the ITIL Foundation examination conducted by CSME/APMG.  For your convenience, we conduct ITIL Foundation Classroom Training every month!  If you can’t make it to this one, join us next month!…See More
Wednesday
ezcertifications updated an event
Thumbnail

ITIL Foundation Training Dhabi,UAE at EZcertifications

December 21, 2014 at 9am to December 22, 2014 at 5pm
EZcertifications would like to present to you our upcoming ITIL Certification Prep Training Workshop    Location:  Dubai,UAE     Date:  Dec –  21th  - 22th -2014This is an Instructor-led Classroom Training which will help you to prepare for the ITIL Foundation examination conducted by CSME/APMG.  For your convenience, we conduct ITIL Foundation Classroom Training every month!  If you can’t make it to this one, join us next month!…See More
Wednesday

Forum

Occupational Health and Safety

Health and safety are important aspects of an organisation’s smooth and effective functioning.  Did you know that workplace health & safety injuries cost Australian businesses over $60 billion…Continue

Tags: Safety, and, Health, Occupational

Started by WHS Solutions yesterday.

What's your favorite motivational/safety quote? 77 Replies

Favorite Motivational Quote: If you want something, you'll find a way - If not, you'll find an excuse.Favorite Safety Quote: Don't learn safety by accident!Continue

Started by Michelle Sears. Last reply by David Collins Oct 23.

Images related to safety 27 Replies

Continue

Started by Arnold Brame. Last reply by Arnold Brame Oct 15.

SafetyCommunity members on Twitter 31 Replies

I am seeing more and more health and safety professionals on Twitter sharing information, articles and links about workplace safety. In fact, you can now follow Ansell (creator of this fine social…Continue

Tags: Facebook, Ansell, Twitter

Started by Lara Kretler. Last reply by Arnold Brame Sep 27.

2 Safety Jobs available now

Jobs Available - 2 Safety Positions available nowCSP SSHO Position…Continue

Tags: Jobs

Started by Douglas Ryan Sep 19.

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service